Friday, August 30, 2013

It's official...I'm MELTING....

I went to my first post-op Dr appointment today. I am officially...by their scales...down 36 pounds!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!  I think it might be more by my scales, but whatever...as long as the direction is DOWN, I can live with it!!!  

The Dear Dr. said that I am doing great, my wounds are healing fine, my BMI is down by SIX points!! The only thing I told him was that I wasn't getting enough water...close, but not quite enough. So he said to be vigilant about that. I then met with the nutritionist and told her what I have been eating and she was pleased as well. Of course everyone reminded me, now that I am off of pureed foods, to chew chew chew chew chew everything into oblivion. The Dr. said..."If you think the bite is small enough, cut it in half...if you think you have chewed it enough, chew it 10x more."

I am totally blown away at how quickly I am getting mobility back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not walking around the block yet or anything close, but I am not using my cane much...I keep leaving it elsewhere in the house and wander around looking for it. I am in the kitchen now getting dinner ready for the clan and I was so excited to not only wash up some pots and pans, get the chili going, and start some eggs to hard boil, clean up my mess and throw all the trash in the trash can all before I even looked around for my kitchen chair. Believe me...that is huge for me at this point!!!! I've already been warned (David and my Daddy) not to overdo it and not to do too much yet. I know...I know...but it felt so good to be a little bit NORMAL!!!!!

I am sleeping better than I have in a long long time. I think I might have finally gotten a handle on the ankle cramps I was getting at night. I knew it wasn't a potassium issue, but I finally determined that it was something I could stop by taking my muscle relaxer before bed and doing a good bit of leg stretches and ankle stretches during the day. I haven't had any more cramping episodes in several nights. Thank GOD...it was getting REALLY old!!!!

So, after we left the Dr. office today we had a quick lunch (quick...that's funny...it takes me and David FOREVER to eat now!!!!) Anyway, I got some broccoli cheddar soup and a 1/2 Cuban sandwich...I can't eat the bread, but I just ate the meat/cheese off the sandwich and ate most of the cup of soup. Actually the meat was a bit dry and not going down too well, so Aly gave me the turkey off of her mini turkey slider that she didn't want. That went down perfectly!

I pulled out some of the chili from the freezer that I made last month and we are going to have that for dinner tonight. I still am amazed that just 2 oz of that will totally fill me up!! Well, probably closer to 3oz. I eat 2 oz of protein and 1 oz of veg or fruit.

Tomorrow we are heading to the beach for the day...can't wait...we haven't been in a long time and I love the beach so!!!

So, have I told you about my incredible husband? Well, I owe him for so much of my success thus far. He has been amazing and has helped me to navigate all of it. Literally bite by bite of food, step by step through the pain after surgery and everything in between. He has been my rock through it all. I can't imagine having gone through this without his constant love and support!!!! I love you baby!!!!

To all two of you who are following this blog...thanks for stopping by!!! God Bless you!!!


Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  PS 86:11


 
In HIS Mighty Grip
Shelley

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Celebrating with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoot whoot!!! Proud of you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toni! I have a long way to go, but at least I'm going in the right direction!

      Delete
  3. awesome!!! What procedure did you have that lets you eat so quickly? I was on liquids for 2 weeks, pureed for 2 weeks, then slowly to tiny bits of real stuff. You're doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shelli, I had the full Roux En Y surgery. They had me on liquids the first two full days, day three they added protein shakes and I came home that night. they started me on puréed foods the first day home for two weeks. Yesterday at my Dr visit he moved me on to sold foods,but I still need to make sure it is soft, moist foods...I just don't have to purée anymore. For instance, today for the beach, d and the girls got Cuban subs and stuff, I am taking a little container of egg salad and also some saved turkey breast and cheese roll ups. I had D get me some Munster cheese as it is softer than American and also got the turkey shaved very thin. I can't eat bread yet...David still can really only et crispy bread. Anyway, just have to chew whatever I eat really really really well!

      Delete
  4. Awesome Shelley!! Love following your amazing progress!!

    ReplyDelete