Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Did I say this was HARD??????

Okay...so don't ever let anyone tell you that Bariatric surgery is the easy way out to loose weight. I mean, sure the weight falls off like rain down a gutter, but that is the only easy thing about it! I am so sick of the nausea, the vomiting, only being able to eat one or two bites of anything. Only being able to eat a very short list of anything anyway! Oh, then there is the sipping...not drinking, but sipping of liquids. It takes me the better part of an hour or more to drink a 16 oz bottle of water!! I am supposed to take in about 100 oz of liquid a day...seriously!!! When you consider that I cannot drink anything for one hour after eating anything, that leaves very few hours in the day to get those 100 oz in. I have been getting up around 4 am or so and just sitting on the edge of the bed and sipping water in the dark, just to get it in. How NUTS is that???!!! Oh, and I can't take plain water at all...makes me want to throw up!!! Sorry...it does!!! So I have to either drink tea or dump those drink Mix-ins into my bottles of water. David makes me 4 cups (about 12 oz each) of hot tea at a time and I put it in my big coffee carafe to keep it hot. Then there is food...

Okay, so most everything I eat has been making me feel like I am on a deepsea fishing boat turning greener with each passing moment. You can certainly understand my aversion to and anxiety to attempting to eat anything!!! UGH

We went to Ruby Tuesday on Sunday night after church. The girls got Pasta and a salad bar, David got a seafood trio and made several meals out of it. I was not sure what to get, because I was afraid I would be making a mad dash to the bathroon if I ate the wrong thing...I ended up ordering a turkey slider off the kids menu. It was about the size of a Krystal burger. There were two of them and they had cheese on them. I took the bread off , and started eating my tiny little bites of burger. My bites have to be about the size of my pinky fingernail...seriously!!!  I felt like a rabbit chewing the tiny little bit with my front teeth. I chewed forever and then I chewed it a few more times and finally took a deep breath and swallowed. It went down fine,but within a couple of minutes into the second bite...the nausea started rolling in like waves on a North Florida Nor Easter!!!!! I got through about 1/4 of one of the burgers and finally just gave up. It wasn't worth it!!!

When we got out to the van, David gave me some strong peppermint gum to chew to try to help with the nausea and I brought a To-Go cup with me just in case that didn't work. I just sat up straight and breathed as deeply as I could as I attempted to keep the tiny little amount of food down. We made it home and I did indeed keep it down...but I was done for the night with food!!! I took my vitamins and drank some more and went to bed!!! Monday morning I called my nutritionist at the Bariatric center and told her what was still going on.

Basically I am getting enough fluids, but nowhere NEAR enough calories or protein!!! Not even close. We talked it from every angle and finally decided that before we try Phenergan, that it might be acid in my little pouch causing all the trouble. She suggested I start taking Pepcid every night and see if that helps. Also ginger tea, crystalized ginger pieces, peppermint to whiff when I feel sick.  So, I took a Pepcid right them and then took one last night. Okay...so, I THINK...I THINK it might be helping a bit. I am not suffering as much with the nausea. I ate most all of the rest of the little burgers yesterday with basically no problems. I drank flavored water early this morning with no problems and about 5 am I had about an oz of chicken salad. I ate it very slowly and chewed it too oblivion and I had no problems!!! Today I got about half of my protein shake down and have been drinking flavored water. David made me tea and it is going down fine also!!!  We are just finishing up school and I am going to attempt some more food!!

I am praying that as I get more of the Pepic in my system, it will continue to work and allow me to get the calories and protein in that I need!!!! I covet your prayers dear friends!!!! I would still do it all over again...I know this will pass in time and I will be able to eat again. I know this won't last forever!!!

In other news...I have lost 59 pounds!!!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

In HIS Mighty Grip

Shelley

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great!!!! This will pass and before you know it you WILL come to some semblance of normalcy. I love you and am so proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you! You are strong and will get through this!! We are on the road to Vanderbilt w/ E. :(

    ReplyDelete